25 February 2008

glazed eyes

In between bouts of hibernation, Clodhopper & Son have been renovating this ancient neglected greenhouse that we have acquired. It is 30ft ish long by about 12ft ish wide and is well rotten in places; most of the base timbers are in need of replacement which is tricky. Luckily a fair amount of the glass was salvagable though most of the roof sheets had slipped and needed refitting. I have discovered that I am not very good at cutting glass and I could spend all day sitting in our local glaziers shop just watching him effortlessly cut sheets to millimetre accuracy with never a chip or a crack or anything really. I am told however, that glass brittles with age and is much more difficult to cut than the more modern pliable variety. Funnily enough, I don't find this knowledge terribly consoling as I watch yet another bit of reclaimed glass split at 90 degrees to my cut line. I will finish it in time for the season. I will, I will, I will.